Friday, February 13, 2015

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day

I was never one to have a flock of fellas at my door. I was very shy growing up. Probably from all the moving around with my parents.  Never thought much of myself. I would look in the mirror and an ugly duckling was staring back at me. I believed no one could love me. I was the youngest of eight children, my sister being 7 years older. I grew up lonely, my face usually glued to a book. I traveled to so many places in my books. I fell in love, I cried, I battled dragons and many other things I did in my imaginary world. I don't remember ever getting a present for Valentine's day or having a secret valentine. Oh, but I was a lover. I had too many crushes to count, puppy love. Growing up I was always on the side lines looking at my friends fall in love, date, go to prom. I was just the fly on the wall. There wasn't social media or internet dating in my day. You either had friends or you were a loner. Our traveling every year from April to September affected my ability to grow attached to one place for too long. I think they call it attachment disorder nowadays. My parents loved me enough for all the friends I never had. Still, having no friends takes a toll after a while. So looking back at my life, not one Valentine's day stands out. They were all pretty lonely events.

Eventually I did marry. I had three beautiful children. I have made every Valentine's Day super special for them. Even if their love life isn't filled with tons of courtships, I want them to know that I love them and that I am their Valentine. It's like Christmas in February at our house. All three wake up to big beautiful bouquets of love nick nacks. I spend months preparing them. They sneak into my room in the middle of the night with their home-made presents especially for me. Flowers from our garden, paintings, drawings all adorn my room on February 14 of every year. After we all get home for the day, we get all dolled up and have an evening of dining and dancing right in our living room.  I have to say that our Valentine's day is one of the most memorable days in our whole year. It's a day when we celebrate how lucky we are to have each other and how much we are in love with life. So on this day, if you don't have a valentine, find a way to make your day special just for you. Do not be sad. Be glad that you are a part of a day when love is celebrated by all.

Happy Valentine's Day to you...

No comments: